Week 10: Make way for the bump

Kumquat, grape fruit, prune. All options which I've never bought, or even paid much attention to, so I've no idea what the desi equivalent is. Bigger than a grape, smaller than a lime: Bump's officially a fetus now, and just over an inch long. R's calling it Akrut (walnut) this week! To go from urad daal size to that in 10 weeks is mind boggling. And when you add in the fact that there are the beginnings of little teeth and kidneys and all kinds of other things - I'm already in awe of this baby. I weigh just under a kilo more than I did two weeks ago, which is roughly what Akrut is supposed to weigh now. 

This is R's last week at work, and he's been focusing on the homestretch of big presentations. By the time he's home, I've invariably given up the struggle, and loosened the top button of my shorts. My jeans are still okay, but that's because they're all low waist. There's a slight but definite bloat here, and it's not (just) my usual cheese-fed potbelly. I wonder how long it'll be before I really start to show?

I weigh around 50kg pre-pregnancy, which is a healthy BMI for my height... but R reminded me that given the average weight of babies + amniotic fluids etc, I can expect to be carrying at least 15kg around the stomach area by the end of this. That was a nice visual. It was a good reminder that I should really exercise more, though. I've been taking it easy and that's not the best idea if I'll be doing that kind of weight lifting.

We went to see the doctor to go over the results of the dating scan, and we have an official due date: Feb 11, 2015. Now that we're two weeks away from the conventional 'safe date,' I've re-drawn our family tree to include Akrut, and Akrut's two fairly-new cousins (one of whom is due in November!). I'm going to use it to tell my parents/close relatives the news when we get to India.  

Before that, we're travelling for a while... we're both very relaxed about this, because Akrut's already been to Austria, Paris, London, Scotland, New York, and all around Toronto - by the end of the first trimester, he/she will have visited Vancouver and the Rockies too! Oddly enough, I'm less prone to motion sickness when I'm pregnant. A baby after our own hearts. Akrut's definitely getting a copy of Oh Baby, The Places You'll Go.

Moment of shame: I meant 'not now' but R thought I meant 'no thanks,' and ate the last of the chocolate. R once again proved that he's the best husband in the world by unquestioningly buying me replacements straight away, despite being mid-dinner. ("I like it when I can be the awesome one in the relationship.")

Moment of glory: I made myself a spinach & cheese melt on whole grain toast, and not only did I taste every mouthful, but I've also been longing for it since. This baby's finally starting to resemble me a little, instead of being all R with his Zen-like calmness and his sweet tooth! Cheese ftw!

*You'll have to excuse me if these posts seem overly detailed and unnecessary. I'm determined to chronicle every step of this as I think it's the only pregnancy we'll have. We want one more child - but we've always wanted to adopt. And you can bet I'm going to be writing all about that, not least because I don't think there's enough info on the Indian system yet. I thought Bump deserved equal coverage.*

No comments:

Post a Comment