Week 20: Half-way there!

Our first scan in India! As I've mentioned before, I was worried the doctor would say there wasn't a baby inside any more, and I'd just been putting on weight because of all the yummy food I was eating. Fortunately, that wasn't the case. All continues to look normal, with the baby now weighing 330 grams (give/take 40) which is perfect for late in the 20th week.

The baby was consistently 3 days behind on all my other scans to date, so while a growth spurt is great news, it also makes me slightly concerned about the possibility of gestational diabetes. My mum was diagnosed with Type II which means I'm more susceptible. I've been cutting back on rice/sweets and upping the ante on my exercising since. The good news is that I was never particularly fond of either when I was in Toronto, so it's really only the last month that I've been eating 'Indian-style.'

My blood glucose levels in the first trimester always came back normal - but those were non-stress tests as we weren't aware of my mum's history then. They'll have to check a bit more closely in the next 4-8 weeks, especially given my recent rapid weight gain in India - I now weigh 56 kilos! Fingers crossed GD will pass me over... I don't have any of the other risk factors, since I'm 27, Asian, and at a perfect BMI - far closer to under than overweight. 

The scan also showed an anterior placenta; not of concern in itself as it isn't low-lying, but it explains why the baby's movements haven't gotten much stronger/more consistent, despite my starting to feel them fairly early on. We watched a movie in the theatre last night, and the baby was SO confused. It kept ramming at my front trying to get to the source of the noise! 

In other happy news, I think we've narrowed down a doctor. We've decided to stay in Hyderabad for now, and so we were considering 2 hospitals in particular. We 'auditioned' the doctors we'd been recommended at each, and finally came to a decision we're happy with. So that feels like a step towards permanancy in India, when everything else is still a bit up in the air - we're going to try finding a house etc next week.

Meanwhile, with an all-clear signal at 20 weeks, I'm finally telling the last few people whom I wanted to tell in person! Good times all around.
Mother's Always Right

4 comments:

  1. Brilliant news on all counts. You must be feeling a bit more reassured now and able to really enjoy this second half of your pregnancy. Thank you for linking up to #BlogBumpClub again. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I was really looking forward to this scan, and am so glad everything's still looking good x

      Delete
  2. Exciting times! Must be exciting to move to India. I’ve never been myself but would love to one day. Pleased to hear that you’ve decided on which doctor to go with. We don’t get a choice here in the UK. I am planning a homebirth though and have had the opportunity to meet all the midwives from the home birth team. Look forward to hearing what you get up to next week. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a lot of responsibility getting to choose our own hospital/doctor... I'd gotten used to Toronto where we just had to follow the instructions we were given, and invariably ended up with excellent care :) All the best with the home birth, the idea's always fascinated me.... I hope you have a healthy, happy one x

      Delete