Week 21: Growing An Indian Baby

It's festival time in India! Though we're not celebrating this year as A's grandmother passed away recently, it still means holidays from work, and time to visit with the (extended) family. It's a sad time to have to watch my sugar intake, there are so many delicious sweets and fried things on offer. And... sigh, the festival of lights is coming up, not to mention my birthday. A birthday without cake? I suppose I'll just have to console myself with a slice of cheese. It's a good thing I'm easily pleased.

It's been a rollercoaster week, with the Hyderabad vs. Bangalore debate rearing its head again (it takes a lot of zen-like calmness to start up a company - or to be married to someone who is!). We had the debate, resolved it after much talk, went house hunting, found one, and even signed the lease. In. A. Week. The nice thing is, in between all this uncertainty, that we went right back to the lane where we used to live three years ago... and while there were no empty houses in our old building, there was a beautiful 1,650sft 3-bedroom apartment in the flat right next to it. Our old maid offered to come around, our old neighbours are still exactly where they were before, even the auto drivers on the street recognize us! (As I was telling A, this is quite an achievement given he was meant to be using corporate transport, rather than autos).

We had a very happy run on that road, even though we only lived there for a year, right after we were married. So I'm looking forward to some sort of stability as we move back there over the next couple of weeks. It doesn't look like we'll be there any sooner, because our parents need to pick a 'good date to move in', by which time the house needs to have a stove so I can boil some milk first thing, again, for good luck.

Quite honestly, I find all the start-up and pregnancy related changes come more naturally than the changes involved with being back in India. We've gotten used to being an individual unit, unbound by traditions, and familiarity with a ritual is a different ball game from actually following it, with an audience of our families.

For instance, there was a lunar eclipse on the last day of my 21st week. This brought on superstitions galore. From 2:30 till 8pm, I was to stay at home, and, preferably, lie still, as looking at the eclipse (not that that's even humanly possible with the naked eye) could result in a baby with a deformity. I was also not to touch my face, belly etc, since this could result in birthmarks, cleft lips, and the like. At 7:30pm, I was to have a bath before eating/drinking anything.

For those who aren't familiar with Indian mythology - all these precautions are in place because eclipses are believed to be caused by the evil influence of Rahu-Ketu. Rahu was a demon who stole the nectar of immortality from the Gods. However, as he started drinking it, Surya & Chandra (the sun and the moon) noticed him, and informed one of the super-Gods, Vishnu, who quickly flung a weapon at Rahu, severing his head from his body before the nectar could go past his throat. The severed head, now immortal, angrily swallowed the sun. The decapitated body, called Ketu, swallowed the moon. They continue to do so at regular intervals, causing eclipses. The sun & moon always manage to escape through the holes in Rahu's head & Ketu's body, but in the brief intervals of darkness, Rahu & Ketu's inauspicious forces are at large. Cue ominous music.

There's more to the story, and it's all fascinating, but, more importantly, how do I feel about all this? It's complicated. On the one hand, it's easy for me to indulge people who believe this stuff on one afternoon. On the other hand, I can't help thinking how insensitive beliefs like these are. An eclipse is in no way responsible for forming your baby, and to suggest that a woman born with a so-called less than perfect infant could have taken precautions to avoid 'defects' is ridiculously rude, apart from being credulous. 

Not drinking or eating for 5 hours, on the other hand, could very well lead to dizziness, at the very least. That is how lunar eclipses can harm pregnant women in India. And Rahu & Ketu aren't the ones responsible, either.

...But I'm a chicken, and I stayed in, although I used the time to write, rather than sleep. However, this was just another reminder that I need to figure out boundaries before our baby's born. It's all very well giving in myself when I don't have to be anyone's role model, but I don't want to raise another generation that pleases everyone else just because it's easier to do so.

8 comments:

  1. It's so interesting reading about the differences in cultures! Congratulations on finding a house and I hope you move in soon! x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Just shopping for furniture now. x x x

      Delete
  2. Fascinating to read about the cultural superstitions, and like you say it can be hard enough not to feel responsible if something was to happen to your baby, to add the pressure on and suggest you could have prevented it does feel a bit cruel. Really interesting though. Good luck with the house move! #blogbumpclub

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it's true of every country, but there's no place quite like India. It's interesting being back, and taking a second look at things we just took for granted before. Thanks for stopping by and commenting! x

      Delete
  3. It is so interesting learning about how different cultures treat pregnancy, and I can only imagine how difficult it can be to find your own boundaries. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! It's going to be an interesting journey :) x

      Delete
  4. So interesting reading about these cultural traditions. And you're right, it's probably a good idea to be clear about boundaries now before baby is born. But I can imagine it must be really hard as you don't want to offend the people you love! Thank you for sharing this though - I feel properly educated about something I knew nothing about. It's a really interesting glimpse into another world. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely going to be an uphill battle, but I suppose we'll have to start some time. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete