Week 35: Workaholic Week

A had to go off to Bangalore on work (and for a final guys' road trip pre-baby). In the past, when he's been out of town, I'm happy being alone. I was equally happy to be alone this time, but A kept worrying about pushing his luck, and about me suddenly going off into labour. So we told his parents, and they came over to keep me company. This was super nice of them, and his mum was sweet enough to wash and cut my coriander, mint, chillies etc neatly so I wouldn't have to bother. Plus, she brought food... loads of it! I had just been to a nutrition class at The Birthplace, so I eyed the sweets somewhat guiltily, but there's no keeping me away from paal khova. I just walked a bit more to work it off.

Although it was lovely doing absolutely nothing, I found myself exhausted when they left. I guess I'm not used to waking up early any more, I tend to treat myself to lie-ins most mornings. I feel like I deserve them when I'm only able to fall asleep at 1am, and then wake up every hour on the hour for the loo until 7am. So dragging myself out of bed at 8, or even 9, and then interacting with people all day until about 11pm, took its toll. When they left, I crashed. I literally did not leave my bed all day. It's been ages since I did that. And when A came home that night, he brought me burritos from Bangalore! (How sad is it that I have to request burritos from Bangalore? Ah, Hyderabad. Also, the burritos in Bangalore aren't much better. It's weird - Indians can do rajhma, we can do rice, we can do rotis. How hard is it to put them together nicely?)

Even after he was back, A's work schedule's been crazy. I think he came home at 1am or something. And, of course, I didn't bother waking up till 9:30am. So all in all, we didn't get to see each other much this week. Sooo, he surprised me by coming home at 5:30 one day! He had to work for about an hour more, but he did it from home, and then we headed off to ISB for a nice long walk, and just some good old fashioned catch-up time. It was just like four years ago - we took a cab over, strolled leisurely, sat around empty classrooms, ate a bunch of stuff in the mess, stared at all the books in the library (my hospital bag checklist has only two things for sure - four ebooks and three paper books. I have my priorities straight), and finished up with waffles close to midnight. Omnom.

I feel like I've put on more than 1kg in the last two weeks. And yes, I had a couple of treats, but given I've been walking, doing yoga etc, I think it's just the baby rapidly gaining. We're now past the cheese-belly stage, and into the definitely-preggers territory. I'm so excited! I wonder if I'll keep growing at this rate? Already, when A and I walk side by side, my stomach stands out comically. I just bought a pair of maternity jeans last week - well, to be accurate, I GOT them, I didn't buy them - and now, what do you know, my tops which fit me perfectly till last week are all stretchy. C'est la vie.

This week, we're also working through the logistics of bringing my cradle over from Bangalore. It's our family heirloom one, and I know for sure I want my baby named in it. As for co-sleeping afterwards, how long we'll be able to use it etc... I have my opinions, but they're theoretical so I'll refrain from sharing. All I'll say is I think we'll get some good use out of it. It's too solid for the baby to really be able to move it even when it's one - plus it's adjustable, so I may convert it to a crib instead of letting it rock as a cradle. It's been years since I saw it, so... we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment