8....7....

Weeks 31 & 32 were Bliss Central, but I was holding off on posting until we had our growth scan at 32 + 3 today *just in case*. A was super busy with work, and even had to go to Mumbai one day, with a day's notice. All of that just made the times that he WAS at home that much more valuable. There was a lot of lazing around, and, as the baby stuff we ordered online started coming in, nightly readings of The Very Hungry Caterpillar aimed at my belly. We ordered a lot of stuff online because the Great Online Shopping Festival had some amazing discounts, and some of it is still trickling in. We keep marvelling at how tiny the newborn sizes are. I look at those onesies and think - oh yeah, I think I can push out something THAT size! Far more comforting than the images of pumpkins and watermelons that Baby Center and the like keep projecting. 

My stomach's really come into its own lately... there are some baby positions that actually make me look unquestionably pregnant, for the first time. I'm still worried about pre-term labour just because everyone else I know had their babies early. I don't want an early baby! I think, anyway. I'm still not uncomfortable, or even doing the pregnant-waddle, but I hear it all starts to get painful four weeks from now, at 36 weeks. I attended a Lamaze class - A couldn't come, he had an investor meeting - and realized I needed to start putting together the highlights of birthing related material for him to look at when he's free. Maybe next week. This week I was busy working on his birthday surprises. It's his last one before he becomes a father, so I wanted to make it count. Among other things, I like the memory capsule I made for him - it has photos, dates, celebration details, songs, videos, love letters - all the stuff that's gone into making the two of us US. Life may change after the baby, so I thought it was helpful to store it all away for easy reference.

And now, coming to the scan. It's gotten me kind of annoyed, to be very honest. The last time we had a scan, about a month ago, the baby was measuring average overall, but in the lower percentiles for abdomen size & fetal length. I was told to eat more protein, and cut down on sugar, since it looked like I was gaining weight, but the baby wasn't. I was SPECIFICALLY asked to eat 6 Threptin biscuits a day, among other things. So I dutifully measured 80 grams of protein a day - not easy when you're a non-egg eating vegetarian - and forced it all down, despite never even being hungry. That much protein, every single day, is just vile, even when your stomach isn't the size of a pea. And I exercised, and I did yoga, and I was generally exemplary. 

I went in today, really nervous, because as I said, I'm worried about preterm labour. The baby's sizes have increased percentile wise, and it weighs almost 2kgs now, but I was told, "Can you start eating eggs, maybe? You've only put on 450 grams. The baby's gaining weight independent of your weight gain." And then, the statement that really annoyed me, "Don't eat Threptin, it has sugar in it." And also, "Your amniotic fluid levels are on the average side for this week of pregnancy, but if you continue at this rate, they'll be low by week 36, so you need to drink more water."

Goootcha. So to reiterate, every day, I'll now be eating: 2 idlis for breakfast, 10 almonds, a cup of legumes with sprouts, a glass of milk with protein shake in it, a protein pill, two servings of fruits, one serving of vegetables with 3 rotis, buttermilk with millet flour mixed in it, another helping of legumes, a carrot, another serving of vegetables with 3 rotis, curd, and somehow in between all that you want me to drink 3 liters of water? Not to mention iron pills twice a day, calcium once a day, and B12 once a day. 

It's bloody frustrating. Not to have the effort that I'm putting in acknowledged (A does, all the time, but I mean by my doctor). To see-saw back and forth on this, where if I put on weight, I'm at risk for gestational diabetes, and if I don't, then I'm not getting enough protein. Too many effing scans. I feel like we're constantly paranoid about what may happen. And I just want this baby out of me so that I don't have someone monitoring my diet to this crazy extent. 


No comments:

Post a Comment