Week 28: Hello, Baby!

I think I'm tired, but I just can't seem to (a) get to sleep, (b) stay asleep, (c) wake up, or (d) get out of bed. It's like a very weird episode of Rip Van Winkle here.

I can't help thinking that if I just pushed myself, I'd get out of bed despite the exhaustion. I put that hypothesis to test with a morning show of Interstellar - the early show was the only one which had tickets available on a special 4D screen. I managed the movie, but I draaaagged myself through the rest of the day. So ok, this staying in bed for an hour longer in the mornings (probably) isn't just me being lazy/self-indulgent then.

There was a bit more 4D in my week - our first ever non-2D scan! It was a freebie I snagged off an internet ad, in addition to getting 20% off on the scan. Remarketing is awesome. This was our 28 week growth scan, and our first one at the hospital where I'll deliver. It's the best scan I've ever done, and made me really glad we chose this hospital. First of all, they actually started the scan on time, instead of making me wait for an hour - that's a first. Second, they have a big flatscreen TV on which images are beamed, so that you & your partner see exactly what the doctor's seeing. And third, 4D! A & I chorused our amazement as Chubster 'smiled', waved, and rubbed its eyes.

The sonographer kept saying how cute & chubby the baby was (although it weighed the requisite 1.16kg), and that it seemed to love the camera. No idea where it got either of those traits from, certainly not either of us! We got some lovely snapshots to take home as well as a video CD - another first. God, I love The Birthplace. If you're in Hyderabad, I highly recommend it, pricey as it is.

I sent the pics to my parents and A's parents in the next five minutes. Mine were excited ('Ooh, it looks like a boy! It looks like YOU!' Not sure if there's an insult in there somewhere, but I'll take it!) while A's just didn't respond. Later that night, he called them, and they berated him for sharing them, since it could be bad luck. I'd had a busy evening catching up on work, but since they brought it up, I messaged my parents and announced my intention to send it to close relatives - and they emphatically vetoed the idea too.

How is this their reaction to seeing their grandchildren for the first time?? Indian superstitions are all well and good, but they inject an unnecessary amount of fear and just suck the joy out of everything. Neither of us takes our parents' reactions personally when it comes to this stuff, but man, you'd think they'd think twice before speaking. We certainly do. We tiptoe around their belief systems all the time, worried about offending them. It's a damn shame that no Indian parent returns the courtesy, or even considers doing so. 

The weird thing is they ignore the fears they SHOULD have. Such as the fact that eating 'for two' will result in an unhealthy pregnancy. Or that 'walking slowly' doesn't amount to exercise. While I haven't been eating more than I should be, I've been guilty of not eating my sprouts daily, or replacing my walk-for-exercise with my walk-to-work. So I'm currently freaking out about the blood sugar tests I need to take this week. While baby & I are both well within the accepted weight range, I put on more weight last month than I typically do - and the weight seems to have stayed on me, rather than making the baby fatter. So I need to take a LOT more protein to try to bulk it up, rather than myself. And meanwhile, there are the dreaded tests. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment