Week 14: Moving (Us, not the baby)

We had our last check-up with our family doctor in Toronto this week. She's seen us through a lot - way more than I thought she'd need to when we first got our health cards two years ago. I'm so happy we were in a country where sirens on ambulances mean something when we had an emergency last year. I'm happy I was proactively offered pap smears & breast cancer screenings. I'm elated to have seen our baby more often, already, than the clinics in India would have let us (and all for free). The OHIP system in Ontario is legendary. I'm going to miss it beyond belief.

That little ode aside, Santra (orange) is doing well. The last time we had a scan, Santra was measuring about a week behind - but he's now back on track and measuring nicely. I, on the other hand, haven't put on any weight in the last four weeks. This really surprised me because I feel a lot bigger. In certain clothes, you can see a blump - still more bloat than bump. Needless to say, I'm getting rid of those clothes :) 

We're packing to move to India at the moment. Despite all of R's protestations to the contrary, our luggage still fits in the bags we carried over when we came here - two suitcases and a carry on item + laptop bag each. I helped by giving away the bulk of my wardrobe. Hey, it's not like any of it will fit me for long anyway.

The doctor said most people don't put on much weight in their first trimester anyway, and that I'd gone from a respectable 48 last year to 51 so far, so she wasn't concerned. I don't think I weighed 48 for very long, but I can confidently say I went from juuust touching 50 to solidly 51 in the last 14 weeks. She also reassured me that I probably wouldn't feel uncomfortable on my front for a while yet because of my general size - which is great news as it's one of the few positions I can sleep in.

In pregnancy symptoms this week: 

* more ridiculous exhaustion - I sleep for 9 hours and wake up feeling like I just fell asleep
* a complete lack of appetite - but we were in a certain city where even the Subway didn't have spinach/olives, so it's not like there was anything to eat
* a couple of mild headaches - possibly because I haven't drunk enough water, which in turn is because I know it's the one thing guaranteed to make me throw up. I don't want to look at a glass of water before noon.
* an inability to get out of bed, which baffles me because I'm usually a morning person
* broken sleep and weird dreams; again, quite unusual
* continuing ditziness, ie: I need to really focus to remember things, and I've lost the ability to multi-task (but I still beat A at our first ever round of Scrabble)

In short, nothing worth complaining about, but quite a bit to be amused at. On the bright side, we've now started telling people the news, woot! I was super thrilled to tell my bestest over Hangouts.

[Tune: Here's what V bought me for Valentine's last year. 
Me: Aww! Ooh, ooh, here's what R's getting me for Valentine's next year!]

R doesn't do that kind of build-up, so he just told his friends outright. Sharing happiness really is the best feeling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment